In 2012, a group of walkers joined the 1965Ride. Their tour was so successful that they will be doing it again in 2013.
The 2013 walk will take place in and around Queenstown. The plan is for each walker to raise R25 000 in the form of sponsorship for walking 101 kilometres over a week.
If we start now it will not be difficult to raise at least R25000 each – that’s just 25 sponsors at R1 000 each – to sponsor you to walk the 101 kilometres (1km for each year that the Queen’s College Old Boys Association has been around).
Here is the plan for the 101 km walk for 2013:
All Walkers will be accommodated at Aloe Grove so no moving of bags etc – move in and stay for a week. We will bus walkers to the starting points each day and deliver you back to Aloe Grove.
Saturday 13 April – Let the Games Begin!
– Arrive and book in at Aloe Grove
– Braai and drinks at Aloe Grove in the evening
Sunday 14th April – 20kms
– Start at Golf Club
– Around the Berry Dam
– Up Bowkers Kop
– Through Top Town
– Around the School Campuses
– Lunch at Bisset Hall
– Downtown Along Cathcart Road
– Back to Golf Club
– Walk / Play the 18 holes of the Golf Club
– Drinks at the Golf Club
– Dinner at Aloe Grove
Monday 15th April – 20kms – The Bong!
– Start at Aloe Grove
– Walk up to the Trout Dam
– Gravel Road to Bongola Dam
– Lunch at Bongola
– Back to Aloe Grove Via Bongola Dam Wall
– Drinks and a Braai at Aloe Grove
Tuesday 16th April – 25kms – Mountain Drive and Hangklip!
– Start at Queen’s
– Walk Mountain Drive (Remember Heartbreak Hill and Second Grid?)
– At Sunnyside turn right and walk to Hangklip Mountain
– Lunch at the Moorcrofts
– Back to QC past the game Reserve
– Dop en ‘n Tjop somewhere!
Wednesday 17th April – 25 kms – Bowers Drift & Maweni
– Start at the Flying Club
– Over Finchams Nek
– Lunch at Bowers Drift
– On to Maweni Lodge
– Drinks and Dinner at Maweni
– Bussed back to Aloe Grove
Thursday 16th April – 11kms – Lawrence de Lange Game Reserve
– Drop Zone somewhere in the Game Reserve
– Walk to Sunnyside
– Back to QC over Mountain Drive
– Meet the Bicycle Riders at the Parry Davies Fields at 12h30
– Parade onto the Rec 13h00
– Lunch at the Spur
– Afternoon Free
– Braai at Aloe Grove
Friday 19th April – Reunion Starts, with plenty of activities for Old Queenians to enjoy
Each walker is asked to raise R5 000 per day of walking and all costs except drinks will be covered by the fund (ie R25 000 for the full walk)
For more information on walking the 1965Ride, please contact Alisdair McDonald on firstname.lastname@example.org